Tuesday, November 16, 2010

iTunes Album Art

I really don't understand how iTunes matches (or not) album art.

Here's the iTunes store:

Besides being awestruck at the price ($16.95!!!?? I can buy the CD for $11, why would I pay $17?), I note that it shows the correct cover for the album.

Yet when I ask iTunes to download the artwork for the CD I've ripped, it shows the following:

For some reason it imports the cover for The Complete Led Zeppelin. I've tried renaming the album to all sorts of variations (in the example I've exactly matched the album you can buy on iTunes), yet it won't pick the right cover.

This happens with many different albums. And it's the only way to put an album cover in the iPod database. You can't put your own artwork in that database. The alternative is to tag each track with an album image (which is what happens if you set the album artwork via the Get Info dialog box).

People have been complaining about this for years. I don't suppose I really expect Apple to listen to its users though.

No comments:

Post a Comment