Sunday, March 14, 2010

Windows 7 64-bit & Java

After trying out the Win7 beta for some months as a dual boot with WinXP, I recently decided to install Windows 7, 64-bit version, as my main operating system. The process mainly went pretty well, except for a few minor gotcha's, which I'll mention in this and some future posts.

One of these gotcha's involved the Java Runtime Environment (JRE).

I downloaded and installed the latest JRE (Java 6) for Windows 64-bit operating systems from the Sun site. Simple installation like most applications I'd installed. I tried out some stand alone Java applications, like Project X (which I use for converting TV shows recorded on my PVR to video I can watch on a PC). No problems.

But when I tried to install Brettspielwelt (the client for an online boardgame portal), it said I neede to install Java first, and offered to install Java 4! It wouldn't let me skip the Java install and continue, so I had to investigate further.

A couple of other Java apps worked OK, so I tried the browser based version of Brettspielwelt. IE8 told me I didn't have Java installed!! "That's a lie", I cried. (Maybe not out loud.)

I went to the Sun site again to investigate, and this time, I ended up on a different page, which advised me I was using a 32-bit browser, and I would need to download the 32-bit version of the JRE to use with my browser.

Yes, it turns out the default IE8 browser in Windows 7 is the 32-bit version. And the 32-bit version needs a 32-bit JRE! You can start up the 64-bit IE8 if you go looking for it, but it's not guaranteed to work with a lot of plug-ins or add-ons, so it's not the default.

Installing the 32-bit version also fixed my Brettspielwelt installation.

If you're using Win7 64-bit version, do youself a favour and install both the 64 and 32-bit versions of JRE.

No comments:

Post a Comment